who's bought the 1.9.x update

13 Dec, 2017 02:46 AM

Querying on who has renewed (so called) "support maintenance" and downloaded, installed and using the 1.9.x release ?

Am wondering how that is working and whether its worth $50 ?

1. 1 Posted by MSM on 18 Dec, 2017 05:08 PM

I tried replying to this already...

We did buy it and it is working fine...bought it on August 24th. It got rid of an error we sometimes got that it wasn't able to send an email through, but the email went through anyway. There were a couple of other things I can't recall. I also have had some luck chatting with tech support from the main Bugify website.

2. 2 Posted by richr on 18 Dec, 2017 06:06 PM

ah.. probably..you may have noticed alot (or all) postings about the 1.9.x (or the update) have been deleted.

understood that your using it and periodic issues.

but you didnt say whether it was worth it or not?

3. 3 Posted by MSM on 18 Dec, 2017 06:50 PM

With all the spam that took over the discussion, I wonder if it wasn't just convenient to cull most posts. I don't know.

As for whether it was worth it...it was, in the sense that it didn't break anything, fixed some bugs and made us feel we're not using abandon-ware. If these subscriptions fuel a worthy 2.0 release then it is worth it...if it's just sunken costs, then it's more debatable. We find Bugify useful and especially so for its simplicity for many of our non-programming techs, so it would be unfortunate to have to switch if it fell by the wayside. I tell myself that hopefully the new owners are working on a 2.0 and that's what we funded.

4. 4 Posted by richr on 21 Dec, 2017 09:35 PM

since my installation is for use by condominium community property - which is a non-profit - Robert gave me a discount to buy it at half price - $35 i think.

and its been hard to keep the board of directors and property management motivated to use it -- which I cant fathom why they are so reluctant, since Bugify is a great system! Especially for continuity, record keeping and historical management (especially with all the customization/changes I did to it)

anyway, i tried explaining this to the new owner via that "chat" session - which he answered at the time - either he didnt understand or didnt care that we are a non-profit - so he wasnt going to give me a break on the update cost.

thats why i find it hard to fork over $50 when it cost me $35 to buy in first place - for a system that may be abandon, by my users, sometime in the future anyway.

though i do have to admit - the email reply facility would make my instance even far more useful and convenient.

5. 5 Posted by MSM on 21 Dec, 2017 10:10 PM

Can't speak for the owner, but it's possible they were reluctant to give a price-break without knowing what their income baseline would be. Might have just been too early in their cycle to know if they should do that sort of thing for you, or who you were (you seem to have had many contributions over the years on Bugify). Maybe try them again?

Your problem with getting "those people" to use Bugify are not unique. I can not for the life of me understand the reluctance people have for documenting/tracking issues. With our heavy data and program driven techs using Bugify is a no-brainer. 100% buy-in. Everyone loves it for those reasons...permanence, references, continuity, management, fewer loose ends etc. For everyone else it's like pulling teeth. Even if I go as far as asking them to just tell me the info and I'll start an issue for it and then they just have to update it, it seems to be impossible. Even if 90% of the issue is resolved and all they have to do is confirm the solution and mark the issue as resolved or closed, it seems to be impossible. I can only assume they are being lazy because there is 0 other compelling reason to not do this extremely useful things. Our projects have 10, 15, 20 year lifespans so knowing what went on years ago is extremely useful. I hope you find the magic potion because I fully support your effort, spiritually :)

Back to the cost....I mean, obviously you either have the money or not, but if you do, I wouldn't feel to awful gambling $50 and finding out it only takes you forward another 6-12 months...and maybe you'll get the email reply feature.

6. 6 Posted by richr on 11 Jan, 2018 04:56 PM

Hi MSM, the email reply feature is supposed to be included in version 1.9.x - per blog.bugify.com site here.

That's the only thing I would want out of this upgrade - thats why I was wondering how well that is working?

7. 7 Posted by MSM on 26 Jan, 2018 10:57 PM

Hi richr,

I tried looking into this. The settings to set up an IMAP account are there, and we did, but can't figure out what else to do to make it work, so no, we don't have it working. I tried to work with Bugify tech support on the issue, but the Bugify logs don't show anything useful, and I just haven't had time to start digging into PHP logs to see if they might show anything. So, so far I can tell you I don't have it working, but would like to!

8. 8 Posted by richr on 27 Jan, 2018 02:44 AM

Hi MSM,
    interesting, thats too bad, would be very useful.
    would you mind if we could email directly to discuss configuration?

9. 9 Posted by richr on 28 Jan, 2018 12:14 AM

umm.. im testing with my smtp relay and cant seem to get any test emails with a "reply to" of my unique addr for email responses. maybe this is the problem you are having?

setup a special email addr for replies at "zoho.com".
    i relay emails to recipients through "operamail.com" (which is unchanged from before)
    configured bugify to "poll" the "zoho" email addr.

I configured the identity in operamail to use "zoho.com" as the reply address
    i configured bugify with a "sender address" of "zoho.com"

but when i send out emails from comment update in bugify, the target email receiver shows "operamail" and not "zoho" -- so I think its a problem with the smtp relay and not me or bugify.

10. 10 Posted by MSM on 29 Jan, 2018 11:28 PM

I wouldn't mind connecting through email. Let me know where to email to. Perhaps we can exchange settings screen shots. We have configured a separate real email account. The Bugify emails show as being sent from it, and responding to the email obviously produces an email in that email account, but nothing else happens...

11. 11 Posted by richr on 30 Jan, 2018 08:40 PM

cool - i have an spam/junk email of "richr" at "softhome" dot "net" you could use - then I can email directly or you can do the same to avoid spaming as well.

other than I am waiting additional feedback from the email provider I send SMTP through - I need to get that "reply-to" stuff to work first.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac