Now what ?? Bugify as orphanware or abandonware ?

richr410

12 Dec, 2016 09:34 PM

Its seems that Bugify is unofficially orphanware or abandonware. (probably more like orphanware)

I have been blown off by the Predict HQ people when I tried to contact the developer Robert Kern through them - since that is the project he is currently working on.

I have contacted the Copyright Council of New Zealand to try to get information about New Zealand copyright laws as it pertains to Abandonware or Orphanware; guess we will see what they say... ( edit: no response received, not surprised )

1. 1 Posted by Tim on 29 Dec, 2016 10:40 AM

For the benefit of those who only follow this forum, here is a link to the blog:

http://blog.bugify.com/general/the-future.html

2. 2 Posted by richr410 on 29 Dec, 2016 04:32 PM

Wow.
    I hoped for some kind of response - and if there was, I figured it would be similar to that.
    That's good. At least now we all know where we stand and can make arrangements accordingly. As for us, we will continue with Bugify.

I actually thought about being the turnover person to pick up Bugify, since I've done so many changes to the system, but my development skills in PHP are not as strong or tuned as Robert's. Plus, all my enhancements ive done are in the main web interface, I didn't put any of them in the API routines.

3. 3 Posted by richr410 on 29 Jan, 2017 07:40 PM

Well Robert Kern sold Bugify on Jan 26th, 2017 to some investor and/or developer.
    Not sure how that affects US, our licensing, support, etc.

Guess we will see. I would suspect we see some new motion in a couple months.

that's interesting...
    I just noticed in the "Terms" agreement of this program the line:
    2) License Grant....
    2.1) Limited: Licensee may use The Software for the purpose of:
    2.1.4) May not modify The Software in any way;

That certainly sounds like we cant make any code changes at all -- but that seems totally contradictory to what I see around the Bugify website and support pages.

So which is it - can we or cant we make code changes?

4. 4 Posted by richr410 on 02 May, 2017 01:35 AM

Sooooo.
    whats happening now that Bugify was bought ??

5. 5 Posted by tim on 02 May, 2017 08:02 AM

The domain registration was last updated 2017-01-28, the day before the purchase was announced, and its actual ownership is now protected by an outfit called 'WhoisGuard' in Panama. This is consistent with the evident policy of keeping any future development plans under wraps and the current user base in the dark. The purchase page still seems to be open, but the link on that page to Robert's article "The Future of Bugify" is useless because that article seems to have been removed from the blog. So no information for new users either, unless/until they read this forum.

On the other hand, the product still works well. And someone has sunk $16,300 into purchasing it on Flippa. And for existing users, the absence of the developer from this forum for over three months is nothing unusual. Maybe there will be a brighter future, but I am not sure how long it will be before any remaining good will is lost.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac