Per-Project Milestones

Matt Stein

06 Dec, 2013 06:29 PM

I find it odd that Milestones are available across projects, as for me they're typically project-specific especially when dates are involved. Can you offer some insight as to why they're decoupled from Projects? Would it be possible to limit them per project?

1. 1 Posted by Robert Kern on 06 Dec, 2013 10:21 PM

Hi Matt,

The reason they're not tied to a project is because often people have
    multiple projects working towards the same milestone. It depends how you
    use your projects - for example, you might have a project for the API side
    of a software system, and another project for the front-end for example -
    they would both have tasks needing to be completed in the same milestone.

In saying that, we have had a few people requesting milestones tied to
    projects. I don't really see the need to tie them to projects yet though -
    if you only want tasks from a particular project to go into the Milestone
    then put tasks from only that project in it. If you have a convincing
    reason for locking them down let me know.

Thanks,

Robert

2. 2 Posted by Matt Stein on 06 Dec, 2013 10:30 PM

Thanks Robert.

My primary reason is clarity in labeling. I might have several projects with "Alpha", "Beta" and "Launch" milestones, for example. To tell them apart when assigning issues, I need to relabel "Project A Alpha", "Project B Alpha", etc. and set manually set each client group's visibility into milestones. Not sure if that's sufficiently convincing, but that's my reason for wanting the direct project-to-milestone relationship.

3. 3 Posted by Robert Kern on 06 Dec, 2013 10:38 PM

Thanks Matt. That is a good reason.
    I'm unsure if we should be allowing you to choose if a milestone should be
    per project or global, or making every milestone per project. I'm worried
    that giving people the option might cause more confusion than relief, but
    because we already have global projects we can't really take that feature
    away. It might be something that has to wait until v2 as that gives us
    almost a clean slate to work with. Hopefully until then, the way it
    currently works doesn't cause too much hassle for you.

Thanks,

Robert

4. 4 Posted by Matt Stein on 06 Dec, 2013 10:44 PM

Not at all – it's a little weird, but it certainly works. You're making this v2 sound awfully swanky!

5. 5 Posted by Paul on 24 Jul, 2014 08:36 AM

Funny, that's actually the same Issue we have too :)
    Would be nice to see it in one of the Future Updates.

6. 6 Posted by alicroche on 04 Sep, 2014 12:19 PM

Would be useful here too -> Different kinds of jobs = different milestones typology

7. 7 Posted by Johannes Schlim... on 23 Oct, 2014 07:39 PM

An additional vote for project-bound milestones.

8. 8 Posted by Miroslav Hudak on 06 Feb, 2015 07:41 PM

What about milestone bound to a group? Because that is THE method to divide spheres of visibility in the application and I think it would solve the main issue -- clients being able to see milestones of other projects. And I did not have time to dig to the sources (and I don't see myself doing it if not completely necessary), but it should not be that hard to implement as well.

9. 9 Posted by Miroslav Hudak on 06 Feb, 2015 07:44 PM

ADD: actually, it should not be hard to implement AT ALL, as the functionality is already implemented (in group properties); it just needs UI on the milestone properties side, so one can bind it when creating new milestone.

10. 10 Posted by chitti on 06 May, 2015 10:11 PM

I agree that milestones should be bound to projects. Milestones are directly linked to project management. In the project management field If people work towards the same milestone they work on the same project, maybe different aspects of it, but that's why there are milestones. The fact that they might separate their code as you mentioned (or it could be software - hardware...) should only be done on the code side (like branches).

On the bug/feature tracking side, it can easily be tracked by your "label" then people can just search for the label they are interested in. In any case I cannot deploy that product that seems very promising otherwise (I just installed the trial version) for the whole institute. I was looking for a php-base option to replace our current "trac" instance. Well, hopefully you'll be able to integrate the change in version 2. Is there actually a place to request new features? I'd like to see an ldap connector too. Thanks.

11. 11 Posted by istvanb on 20 May, 2015 11:21 AM

I fully agree that milestones must be project based. We have 20+ and growing number of software projects each one of them has different milestones.

I have just purchased Bugify, but I already see how this will be a huge issue for our users.

Is there any activity from the developer side? The last comment from Robert is more than 2 years old.

12. 12 Posted by Ralph on 14 Jun, 2015 05:36 AM

Is bugify still alive...I just purchased this, I've sent 2 support emails and have had no response...an like istvanb said...its bee 2 years since take of v2...hello??

13. 13 Posted by istvanb on 14 Jun, 2015 01:55 PM

I have asked the question from Robert if Bugify is still alive and if this feature will get implemented. He wrote yes, it will be in Version2.0 although there is no ETA for that. Which for me seems to be the polite way to say: "no I dont develop bugify anymore"

14. 14 Posted by Ralph on 15 Jun, 2015 03:40 AM

...sigh. What so hard about putting..."no longer actively being developed for the time being(if thats the case)" ...so no one else waste time and money. Honest opinion: the app is great it just lacks a lot of basic customization that most of us in this forum could write ourselves...an easy way to solve this issue it is by the use of plugins which would allow the community to just do this ourselves. There is no credibility because there are no upcoming change logs, development road map, or GIT repo we could look at. I found this https://github.com/bugify but there nothing in there. It saddens me that I will be end up changing my src code after paying $70 to not have to write any code in the first place. I mean like something as simple as uploading an image and being able to click on it so that it shows in a modal is something so basic. It's ok to send us minor updates...anywho I'm off my soap box.

15. 15 Posted by Williamdith on 08 Jun, 2016 06:13 PM

I value the forum post. Fantastic. Wiberg

16. 16 Posted by Syed Rosdi on 23 Jun, 2016 02:33 AM

I wonder, what PHP framework this bugify was developed? looks like zend. anyone know? thanks.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac